Membership Criteria & Dues Structure
The Association of Independent Research Institutes (AIRI) is an association dedicated to high-quality biomedical and behavioral research whose mission is to assure and enhance the ability of its members to improve human health and advance knowledge. In recruiting new members, the Membership Committee will utilize the following criteria:
- Membership is open to any bona fide independent, not-for-profit research institute dedicated to excellence in biomedical and behavioral research which has as a principal purpose the conduct of such research.
- Organization must have its own board of directors. The majority of the board members may not be appointed by another organization/parent board.
- Applicant institute must be incorporated in its own right and have its own audited financial statements.
- Applicant must be able to accept grants in its own name, rather than its grant support having to come through another (parent) organization.
- Organization must be an identifiable institute, not merely a fiscal conduit that lacks its own employees, administrative staff, and/or sign over the door.
- Institute investigators must cite the name of the application institution on their peer-reviewed publications.
- Organizations that are not yet conducting active research and/or in the process of making changes that would qualify the organization for AIRI membership may be admitted as provisional members. At such time as they engage in active research and/or complete the changes, they will be reviewed for regular membership.
- A provisional member will be eligible to participate in all activities and receive all the benefits of regular AIRI members with the exception of becoming a member of the Board of Directors.
- Provisional members will be reviewed annually to determine their progress in achieving full membership status.
Membership dues are based on your annual revenue as reported on an institute's most recent Form 990, line 12:
Here are some additional information:
To apply, simply download and complete the .
If you have any questions regarding a membership application, please contact our AIRI Membership Chair - Sophia A. Darling, Vice President of Finance & Operations, Boyce Thompson Institute for Plant Research Inc. at firstname.lastname@example.org or 607-254-1225.
You can also contact the AIRI Management Office.
- Less than $2M = $ 500
- $2M but less than $6M = $1,200
- $6M but less than $10M = $2,400
- Greater than or equal to $10M, but less than $20M = $3,600
- Greater than or equal to $20M = $5,300