Back to Careers
Director of Grants & Contracts
The Gladstone Institutes is an independent, not-for-profit research institution affiliated with the University of California San Francisco (UCSF), contributing to the health and well-being of all people through medical research, education, and outreach in the areas of heart disease, HIV/AIDS, and neurological disease. Gladstone is composed of three separate institutes and approximately 500 employees. Our employees receive exceptional benefits. We are located in an award-winning building adjacent to UCSF's Mission Bay Campus.
We are currently seeking a Director of Grants and Contracts. This position reports to the CFO and VP of Finance and is responsible for the management of all aspects of research administration, including pre-award and post-award and compliance administration.
- Negotiates budgets and reviews contract terms in order to: maximize F&A recovery, maximize overall financial benefit to Gladstone and ensure compliance with applicable internal and external policies and guidelines.
- Reviews, analyzes and makes recommendations to the CFO and VP of Finance, and President concerning matters involving investigators and financial issues; overall responsibility for reporting on PI adherence to budgets and projections, including lab account allocations.
- Develops policies and procedures for process improvements and metrics for reporting improvements in: Philanthropy, Corporate Liaisons and Ventures, and Grants and Contracts.
- Provides guidance to faculty concerning potential funding opportunities and on the application of grant-funding policies and regulations.
- Reviews and approves reports to sponsors including financial reporting and grant applications. Ensures financial reporting to internal and external recipients is accurate and reconciles with Gladstone Institutes’ financial records.
- Oversees all aspects of budget administration for externally funded programs, including the assignment of accounts for awards, budget development, and signature authority.
- Reviews scientific personnel requisitions to ensure funding exists to cover new positions.
- Reviews purchase order requests on equipment and large supply orders to ensure funding available and policies are followed.
- Negotiates language in agreements to comply with internal policies, including payment terms, IP language and other contract terms as needed.
- Oversees the annual Uniform Guidance (A-133) audit.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration preferred.
- Certified Research Administrator preferred.
- More than eight years extramural funding and supervisory experience.
- Experience working with and understanding PHS and sponsor policies, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) circulars (in particular A-122 and A-133 uniform guidance), Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) and agency specific guidelines.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills required, as well as creative and strategic thinking.
To apply please click on the following link:
Gladstone is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. It undertakes affirmative action
to assure equal employment opportunity for underutilized minorities and women, for persons with disabilities, and for Vietnam-era veterans and special disabled veterans.